11.28.2006

Family Traditions

One thing I love about the holiday season is the movies that come out. Part of my family's tradition is to go to the movies on Christmas Day. I remember watching movies like "An American Tale," "Home Alone," etc. While we haven't been able to keep up this family tradition, I'm blessed that another family from CrossWay has let me join in on their family tradition of going to the movies on Christmas Day. The past couple of years have made some wonderful memories including the Lord of the Rings movies and last year's "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

This year, the movie that peaks my interest is The Nativity Story - a movie about the birth of Jesus Christ. There are a couple of reviews about it including Dr. Al Mohler's review. In Dr. Mohler's review, he writes,

When it comes to the virgin birth, the divinity, and the saving mission of the Christ Child, the movie never blinks. Cinematographers may find fault with the presentation of the angels and the voice of God, but I have the sense that where the director had to choose between accuracy and artistry, accuracy often won. For that decision Christians should be thankful.

and in response to those, including myself, who are hesitant about a secular Hollywood major movie company making a film based on the Bible,

Should the story of Jesus be reduced to film? That question is not as easily dismissed as some might think. Nevertheless, The Nativity Story is the first major Hollywood studio film in many years to deal with a biblical story. In fact, World magazine reviewer Steve Beard reports that The Nativity Story is the first such release from a major studio since Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments.

I'm very grateful for Dr. Mohler's review, because I had some fears about a major movie company making a movie about Jesus Christ's birth. What Dr. Mohler did was bring my fears to light and help me realize that ultimately God is sovereign over movie making and not men.

Toodles!

1 comment:

LauraJoy said...

Thanks for sharing that info, Sara. Answered most of my questions about the movie. you rock!! :)
LC