6.16.2008

Infinitely superior and utterly enthralling

One of the leading causes of my natural tendency to self-love is fear. I fear that if I do not love myself there would be no one left to love me quote so well as I do. An even more signficant cause of self-love is a lack of persuasion that there is someone out there who is worthy to be loved more than I. Arrogance lies underneath both of these causes: I love myself supremely because I am the most worthy person I know to be loved and also because I think I can do a better job at it than anyone else. Such arrogance makes me dangerous, yet it is deeply ingrained in my sinful flesh.

Thankfully, the gospel frees me from the shackles of self-love by addressing both of these causes. First the gospel assures me that the love of God is infinitely superior to any love that I could ever give to myself. . . . Second the gospel reveals to me the breathtaking glory and loveliness of God, and in so doing, it lures my heart away from love of self and leaves me enthralled by Him instead.

The Gospel Primer, 30-31.

No comments: