8.17.2006

looking back and looking up...part i

Hello everyone! I know it's been a week since I last posted...life is very busy and every night this week I've been planning for 1 single day and also doing some mundane things like laundry and housecleaning so the week has been doubly long...

I've also been doing some reflecting...reflecting that has helped to remind me of the mercy and kindness of God. Late summer and fall time for me holds significant memories for me and I would like to share two significant memories from years past in two parts.

Let's go back five years...I was a graduate of Millersville University with a BA in International Relations and I decided to remain in Lancaster. I became a member of my church, Crossway Church of Lancaster after much consideration, counsel and encouragement from my pastors and friends. I did not have a job and what I like to tell people is that I asked if the Amish needed a representative at the UN but they said no. Corny joke I know, but people actually laugh at it so either they're corny or else the joke is doing what it's supposed to. :-)

After graduation, I did many temp jobs and had a temp job that I thought would become permanent, but the company had to let me go due. I went through 23 interviews that summer, some memorable, some not so memorable. Throughout the summer of 2001, I felt the presence and care of God. I remember that time being a sweet time with God crying out to him to provide a job for me. For me, the power and promise of prayer became very real to me that summer. I was also supported and cared for by members of my church.

Towards the end of the summer, I was coming to a place that I needed to find a job or else I would have to move to Houston where my parents were. I was preparing myself for the worst, but I knew and trusted God had placed me in Lancaster and I knew he would provide but nothing seemed to be materializing. Then one day in church, I saw an announcement for an administrative assistant's position for the county adult probation & parole agency in the church bulletin. I remember specifically two people coming up to me and saying I need to apply for this job. I was hesitant at first, because why would this be any different from the other positions and places I applied for? Then one of my pastor's told me that the person who placed the ad was once a member of our church before and I should apply.

I did apply. Then 9/11 happened and I didn't hear from the agency until the end of September. During the month of September five years ago, I felt the presence of God and his care for me. I learned that my pastor who told about the person placing the ad, took intitiative and called him and gave me an excellent reference, even though I didn't have him on my references list (now I know better). I remember how families took me in and cared for me.

When the end of September came, I knew I had to decide to stay or go and I knew that the agency would be calling me. It was do or die time. I remember where I was when I got the offer...I was at a friend's house canning applesauce and I remember it being the longest phone call ever...it probably lasted only like 3 minutes, but it seemed so long...after my future and current boss offered me the position, I emphatically said yes...he probably heard the desperation in my voice...just kidding...we finished our coversation and I promptly called my parents and I called the Haughery's. I think Cynthia was more excited than I was when I told her the news...after I was done on the phone, I went back to my friends canning applesauce and told them the news and we hugged and cried...God answered my prayers and he was faithful to provide for the call he placed on my life to live in Lancaster and be apart of Crossway Church of Lancaster...

During this time, God impressed upon me a couple of things, including...

1. God answers prayers, even in the 11th hour, 59th minute...
"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. " Psalm 27:13-14

"Wait for the LORD and keep his way. He will exalt you to inherit the land" Psalm 37:34

2. Pray specifically...I remember praying specifically that this job would provide for me financially and for insurance. I also prayed that the job would allow me to have nights and weekends free so that I could serve the church and be with my church family. The way I saw it, was that, if God had called me to be part of the local church, I should pray about things that would affect that. I also think that by praying for these things, I was praying alongside God's desires and not my own. With the clear direction he had given to me, praying for these things increased my anticipation to see how God was going to answer...and God did not disappoint...not that my job is the greatest at times, but it is a notable blessing, one that I can point to and see the mercy and kindness of God in...

"Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who hope in me will not be disappointed." Isaiah 49:23b

I often think back to that summer and how God met me in a very real way and how some truths of his word were deeply planted...

In closing, I've copied and pasted David's psalm of thanks for when the ark was restored to Israel in 1 Chronicles 16, a pivotal time in the history of God's people. I've emphasized some lines that I have underlined in my Bible and often turn to to remind me.

Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.
Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.
Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.
Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.
Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced,

O descendants of Israel his servant, O sons of Jacob, his chosen ones.
He is the LORD our God; his judgments are in all the earth.
He remembers his covenant forever, the word he commanded, for a thousand generations,
the covenant he made with Abraham, the oath he swore to Isaac.
He confirmed it to Jacob as a decree to Israel as an everlasting covenant:
"To you I will give the land of Canaan as the portion you will inherit."
When they were but few in number, few indeed, and strangers in it,
they wandered from nation to nation, from one kingdom to another.
He allowed no man to oppress them; for their sake he rebuked kings:
"Do not touch my anointed ones; do my prophets no harm."
Sing to the LORD, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day.
Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.
For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the LORD made the heavens.
Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy in his dwelling place.
Ascribe to the LORD, O families of nations, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength,
ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name.
Bring an offering and come before him; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.
Tremble before him, all the earth! The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved.
Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let them say among the nations, "The LORD reigns!"
Let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them!
Then the trees of the forest will sing, they will sing for joy before the LORD,
for he comes to judge the earth.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
Cry out, "Save us, O God our Savior; gather us and deliver us from the nations,
that we may give thanks to your holy name, that we may glory in your praise."
Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting.

Toodles!

4 comments:

Julie Garner said...

This is an awesome testimony, Friend! Thank you so much for sharing it!!! You are an encouragement.

Love ya!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Sara
I am so glad that God has allowed you
to stay in Lancaster. You have become
a wonderful friend to me and my family. I only have three things to
say: blim blam, leverrrr, and my boys
did not try to hold your hand. (Ha)
You're the best.
Love ya
Carol

Unknown said...

Carol,
You forgot one more thing to say!

Flirt Like Heck!

Blim blam!
Sara

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Very timely.